South Jersey Bass Club Association
CARMEN BERSANI MEMORIAL
COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
(this page last updated: 2/16/2023
Each year, if applicants are available, the South Jersey Bass
Club Association will grant one eligible high school student a
college scholarship. Following are the guidelines for this
- The scholarship will be in the amount of $500.00.
- The scholarship money can be spent on any college expenses.
- The applicant must be a high school senior who is entering
college upon graduating from high school and will be pursuing a
degree in fisheries management, environmental science or another
related field that may benefit fishermen.
- The applicant must reside in New Jersey, Pennsylvania or
- The applicant must provide all required application materials
to the SJBCA Scholarship Committee for review by May 1 (must be postmarked by
- Application materials will consist of:
- a completed application form,
- a transcript of high school grades,
- a statement from the applicant describing his/her interest in
the outdoors and future plans in their chosen field of study
(minimum of 200 words), and
- a letter of recommendation from one of his/her high school
These materials may be submitted
separately as long as they all clearly identify the applicant.
- The SJBCA Scholarship Committee will review the application
materials submitted by all applicants and, using criteria of its
own choosing, select a winner of the scholarship. These
criteria will include, but not necessarily be limited to,
scholastic achievement, citizenship, and interest in pursuing a
career in an outdoor-related field that may benefit
fishermen. The Committee reserves the right to not select
a winner if no applications are received or if all applicants
are deemed to be not qualified or deserving.
- An announcement of the scholarship winner will be made by June
1, with payment (made directly to the applicant) and the
awarding of a certificate to follow soon after that date.
The winner understands that
his or her name and photograph may be used in future publicity
for the SJBCA.
- The SJBCA Scholarship Committee reserves the right to follow
up with the winner and/or winner's family at a later date to
determine the winner's current student status.
These guidelines were proposed by the original SJBCA Scholarship
Committee (Carmen Bersani, Fred Lentz, Greg Lentz) in July, 2004,
and approved by the general membership in September, 2004. The
guidelines were revised in March, 2011.
NOTE: Usually, the winner of the scholarship and his/her
family will be invited to the SJBCA's July member meeting (3rd
Wednesday of July) held at Parvin State Park. This meeting
features a free barbecue. We use the occasion as an
opportunity to meet the winner and take a photograph for our
Click here for a
printable version of the above guidelines
Click here for a
printable version of the application